Silver Hydrogen Peroxide Disinfections
GMS Services Ltd have been using Silver Hydrogen Peroxide to successfully disinfect and treat domestic hot and cold water systems for many years.
The oxidising agent used is hydrogen peroxide, which is bonded with stabilising agents to form a complex solution. A long-lasting effect is ensured by the addition of silver which acts as a catalyst in trace amounts. The bactericidal effect of silver is based on the fact that the monovalent silver ion binds very firmly to bacterial proteins by a covalent or coordinate bond, and thus inactivates or precipitates these.
Advantages of Silver Hydrogen Peroxide Disinfections
- It is extremely effective against bacteria, viruses, amoebae, fungi and algae. This extremely wide range of application ensures ease of use as only one chemical is needed, rather than multiple products with other disinfectants.
- It offers extremely good stability which ensures excellent shelf life. The product remains stable at high water/air temperatures; its effectiveness is even increased at high temperatures.
- It offers long-term effectiveness which provides protection against re-contamination making it ideally suitable for the disinfection of drinking water pipework and wells.
- It is extremely ecologically friendly. Its principal constituent – hydrogen peroxide – does not pollute waste water, because it breaks down into water and oxygen (H2O and O2), i.e. it produces no noxious by-products.
- The two main constituents (H2O and Ag) offer a two pronged attack so the bactericidal effect comes into action quicker and more intensively than if either substance was used on its own.